The builder of Sydney’s infamous Opal Tower has been hit with an order by the NSW Building Commissioner to fix a number of defects in a separate residential complex.
- Icon Co (NSW) Pty Ltd was issued with an order to fix defects at the Rosebery complex last Thursday
- The company has been at the centre of disputes over the Opal Tower building
- Another developer, Sydney Christian Life Centre was also issued with an order in June
Icon Co (NSW) Pty Ltd was issued with the order last Thursday over a number of defects in the Roseberry complex but has denied any link to the project, telling the ABC it will dispute the claim.
The list of defects included waterproofing issues on the roof and in the basement, corroding balustrades which pose a “threat of collapse”, as well as fire safety issues.
The Otto 2 development at 32-38 Rothschild Avenue was inspected by government officials earlier this year, more than five years after it was completed.
But Icon Co is now facing an order of its own with the Office of the Building Commissioner deeming it also responsible, as it purchased the apartment’s builder, Icon Constructions Australia, and shared its directors for the last five years.
Julian Doyle and Nicholas Brown ended their roles as directors at Icon Co (NSW) in November, three weeks after Icon Constructions Australia was wound up, where they had also been directors since 2012.
But a spokesman said Icon Co (NSW) has nothing to do with the residential complex and declined to answer any questions.
Icon Constructions Australia is facing claims from creditors in excess of $30 million, including about $20 million from the owners corporation of Otto 1 and Otto 2.
A remaining director of Icon Co (NSW), Motohiro Umehara, is also director of yet another Icon business, Icon SI, which was recently awarded a $64 million contract to redevelop the North Sydney Olympic Pool.
Icon’s companies are owned by Icon Co Holdings, which was purchased by the Australian branch of Japanese construction giant Kajima.
Do you have more information about this story? Contact us.
Icon Co has been at the centre of legal disputes over Sydney’s Opal Tower at Olympic Park which was evacuated on Christmas Eve in 2018 after large cracks appeared.
A fortnight ago, the company was also ordered to fix fresh problems with the tower, including defective aluminium sunshades which “could fall from the façade and cause harm to the building occupants”.
A spokesman for Sydney Christian Life Centre (SCLC) said the current circumstances with the Otto building complex were “very disappointing”.
“We feel for the residents caught in this situation,” he said.
“It is our hope and priority to do all in our power to ensure that the recipient parties of the orders work together to ensure that any items identified by the department are independently assessed and quickly fixed.”
He said SCLC would comply with the order and work with Capital Corporation to rectify any items and hoped that Icon Co (NSW) would comply with the order, despite Icon Constructions going into liquidation.
A spokesman for NSW Fair Trading would not comment on Icon Co’s denial of responsibility but said developers across the city need to ensure their buildings are safe and compliant.
“The Building Commissioner has made a number of prohibition and rectification orders on apartment buildings in NSW to ensure they are built to the highest standard,” he said.
“All building work rectification orders on buildings must be complied with.
“The Building Commissioner acts in the interests of the people of NSW and will continue to demand that building standards are what apartment buyers expect and deserve.”