A further 45 deaths within 28 days of a positive test were also reported.
The Prime Minister’s official spokesman said: “It remains the case we would only look to use that if the pressure on the NHS was looking to become unsustainable.”
What is the Government’s Plan A for winter?
- The continuation of NHS Test and Trace and free PCR tests.
- Encouraging free flu jab take-up.
- Reminding people to let in fresh air when meeting indoors and to wear face coverings in crowded places.
He added the Government hopes not to have to implement Plan B.
What is the Government’s Plan B for winter?
The Government has said Plan B “prioritises measures which can help control transmission of the virus while seeking to minimise economic and social impact”.
- Communicating clearly and urgently to the public the level of risk has increased and with it the need to behave more cautiously.
- Introducing mandatory vaccine-only COVID-status certification in certain settings such as nightclubs, crowded indoor and outdoor settings and any setting with 10,000 or more attendees.
- Legally mandating face coverings in certain settings which will be decided at the time.
In addition the Government would also consider asking people to work from home again, if they can, for a limited period.
But it recognised “this causes more disruption and has greater immediate costs to the economy and some businesses than the other Plan B interventions, so a final decision would be made based on the data at the time”.